
Cambodia's Capitol 3 Guesthouse: Your Secret Paradise Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into a review of Cambodia's Capitol 3 Guesthouse: Your Secret Paradise Awaits! And let me tell you, it’s gonna get real. Forget the polished brochure; we're going full messy traveler here. I'm talking spilled coffee, spontaneous sighs, and the unvarnished truth about how well this "secret paradise" actually lives up to the hype.
SEO Keywords, Because Apparently That Matters Now (Ugh): Cambodia Hotel, Phnom Penh Hotel, Capitol 3 Guesthouse Review, Accessible Hotel Phnom Penh, Wheelchair Accessible Hotel Cambodia, Wi-Fi Hotel Phnom Penh, Pool with a View Cambodia, Spa Hotel Phnom Penh, Family-Friendly Hotel Cambodia, Budget Hotel Phnom Penh, Clean Hotel Phnom Penh, Best Hotel Phnom Penh
(Accessibility and Making Sure I Don't Break a Hip)
Alright, so, first things first: Accessibility. This is crucial because let's face it, getting older sucks sometimes. The website says "Facilities for disabled guests," but what does that really mean? Ugh. Thankfully, there's an elevator, which is a HUGE win because, frankly, stairs are my nemesis. Now, I didn't specifically test this place with a wheelchair (because, you know, I don't need one yet!), but the presence of an elevator is a seriously promising start. I did notice CCTV in common areas, and CCTV outside the property. I felt relatively safe. Relatively. (Side note: Would've appreciated a ramp somewhere near the entrance? Just saying.)
(On-site Dining, Drinking, and the Eternal Question: Food)
Listen, if I'm in Cambodia, I'm here to eat. And Capitol 3 mostly delivered.
- Restaurants: They have a few, which is a good sign, a definite plus. They offer Asian cuisine in the restaurant, International cuisine in the restaurant, and Vegetarian restaurant, - always a thumbs-up from me!
- Breakfast [buffet]: Okay, the breakfast buffet was a bit of a mixed bag. The Asian breakfast was… interesting. Let's just say my taste buds were on an adventure. But hey, the Western breakfast options did the trick. And the Coffee/tea in restaurant was decent. The Breakfast takeaway service isn't bad!
- Poolside bar: Ah, the pool. We'll get to the pool later, but the Poolside bar was a lifesaver during the scorching afternoons. Happy hour was a glorious thing. The Bottle of water was always appreciated, keeping you hydrated. They had Snack bar which was perfect for getting a quick bite, and then Desserts in restaurant - yum!
- Room service [24-hour]: Massive bonus points for the 24-hour room service. That's a lifesaver after a long day of exploring. Though, be aware, sometimes you might get a bit lost in translation ordering at 3 am.
- A la carte in restaurant: This is a great option, especially when you’re tired of buffets!
- Alternative meal arrangement: A big plus!
(Internet: The Lifeline of the Modern Traveler)
Internet Access - Wireless and Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Thank goodness! I NEED my Instagram fix. And Capitol 3 Guesthouse gets a gold star (or maybe even a platinum one) for this. It says Internet [LAN] is in the rooms, but honestly, who even uses LAN anymore? Internet services seemed to be pretty good overall. I was a little worried about the Wi-Fi in Wi-Fi in public areas, but it worked fine. Phew! I have to keep in touch, so this is a life-saver.
(Things to Do and Ways to Actually Relax: The Spa, the Pool, and the Questionable Body Scrub)
Okay, the real reason you’re probably looking at this place: relaxation.
- Pool with view: Yes. Just yes. The Swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous. The view is divine. Honestly? I spent a full afternoon just floating, and I almost forgot my worries. (Almost).
- Spa/sauna: Spa, sauna, steamroom, all present and accounted for. I indulged in a Massage at the first sign of stress (which, in Cambodia, is about 30 minutes in). It was… okay. It wasn't the best massage I've ever had, but it certainly did the trick. Though a quick Foot bath before my full-body scrub was not bad at all.
- Body scrub, body wrap: Alright, so here’s the thing. I opted for the Body scrub… and let's just say the experience was… intense. It cleared my skin!
- Fitness center, gym/fitness: The Fitness center looked…well, let's say "functional." I’m not a gym rat, so I couldn't be bothered.
(Cleanliness and Safety: Because No One Wants the Traveler's Curse)
This is SUPER important. I'm happy to report that Capitol 3 takes Cleanliness and safety seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good!
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Excellent!
- Hand sanitizer: Yay!
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Great!
- Hygiene certification: Even better!
- Individually-wrapped food options: Smart!
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Nice!
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Phew!
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Good!
- Safe dining setup: Important!
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Good!
- Staff trained in safety protocol: A MUST!
- Sterilizing equipment: Excellent!
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Huge relief!
- Room sanitization opt-out available: I liked this!
(Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter)
Capitol 3 offers a decent range of services.
- Air conditioning in public area: Essential!
- Cash withdrawal: Handy.
- Concierge: Helpful for booking tours or figuring out the tuk-tuk situation.
- Currency exchange: Convenient.
- Daily housekeeping: A blessing.
- Doorman: Nice touch.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: Big bonus for longer stays.
- Elevator: Already mentioned, but still important!
- Facilities for disabled guests: Good, but see previous notes.
- Luggage storage: Essential.
- Safety deposit boxes: Peace of mind.
- Terrace: Lovely for a sunset drink.
(For the Kids: Is This Place Family-Friendly?)
- Babysitting service: Good.
- Family/child friendly: Seems so.
- Kids meal: Nice to see!
- Additional toilet: Always a win when traveling with kids.
(Getting Around: Freedom to Wander)
- Airport transfer: Yes! A lifesaver after a long flight.
- Car park [free of charge]: Score!
- Car park [on-site]: Also good.
- Taxi service: Readily available.
(Available in all rooms: The Essentials)
- Air conditioning: YES. Absolutely. Cambodia in the heat is brutal.
- Alarm clock: Useful.
- Bathrobes, Slippers, Toiletries: Nice touch to be supplied!
- Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea: Essential beverage!
- Hair dryer: I actually used this one!
- In-room safe box: Makes me feel more secure.
- Mini bar: A lifesaver, at least at night!
- Refrigerator: For water mostly!
- Satellite/cable channels: Perfect.
- Seating area, Sofa: Good.
- Wake-up service: I always use this!
- Wi-Fi [free]: Praise be!
- Additional toilet: Wow!
- Bathroom phone: Very fancy!
- Bathtub: I think I used this once!
- Blackout curtains: Perfect for the sleep-in!
- Closet: Makes me feel more secure.
- Extra long bed: I didn't experience this, but a win.
- Free bottled water: Awesome.
- High floor, Interconnecting room(s) available: Good, especially if you are a large family.
- Internet access – LAN : This is a win for gaming.
- Ironing facilities: I actually used this one!
- Laptop workspace: Good for working remotely!
- Linens: I liked them!
- Mirror: I liked this as well!
- Non-smoking: Huge plus.

Alright, buckle up buttercup, because we're not just planning a trip to Capitol 3 Guest House in Cambodia, we're practically living it, even before we've bought a dang plane ticket! This is gonna be less itinerary, more… therapeutic confession-slash-trip diary.
Capitol 3 Guest House: My Cambodian Crucible (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dirt)
Phase 1: The Pre-Departure Panic (aka, My Brain's a Jumbled Salad)
Week 1 Before Departure: Okay, so I think I booked the guest house. I vaguely remember clicking something… Capitol 3, right? Pretty sure. Oh God, did I accidentally book a month-long stay? Deep breaths. Research. That word. My nemesis. I Google "Capitol 3 Guest House Reviews" and promptly spiral. “Cockroaches! Thin walls! Broken shower!” Lovely. This is going to be… an experience.
Brainstorm and Bag Packing
- Essentials: Mosquito net (because, Cambodia), Immodium (because, Cambodia), ten different types of sunscreen (because, me), and a portable phone charger that actually works. (Learned that the hard way in Guatemala… let’s just say I missed some very important selfies.)
- Clothing: Lightweight, breathable stuff. And a single, fabulous sequined dress for… well, I don’t know yet. Maybe a temple? Maybe dancing on a table. (Don’t judge my optimism.)
- Stuff: I'm pretty sure I have a small pharmacy and also a shop of books.
Phase 2: Angkor Wat: Prepare to be Overwhelmed (and Maybe Cry a Little)
Day 1: Arrival and the Quest for a Decent Tuk-Tuk
- The Airport Shuffle: Land in Siem Reap, sweaty and sticky. Already regretting the ten layers of SPF. Immigration? Smooth as silk. Finding a tuk-tuk driver who doesn’t try to fleece me? Now that’s a challenge. Negotiating is my kryptonite. End up paying way too much but hey, first day! (Also, he had a lovely smile, so, worth it?)
- Check-in to the Guest House: Finally! Capitol 3. It’s… charming. In a slightly-falling-apart-but-definitely-trying-its-best kind of way. The lady at reception is delightful, though, and the courtyard is lush and inviting. And, thank God, the mosquito net looks like it’ll actually work.
- Dinner: Found a little cafe down the street. Ordered the Amok fish (everyone raves about it). It was… okay. The rice was a bit gluey. The beer was cold. Life is imperfect, my friends.
Day 2: Sunrise at Angkor Wat (and the Crushing Weight of History)
- Wake-up Call: 4:30 AM. Ugh. But. Angkor Wat. The photo opportunities, the spiritual experience… I'm gonna have a life-changing moment right?!
- Sunrise Glory: The sunrise… it was everything. The colours, the silence… It was unbelievably beautiful. Totally worth the early wake-up. I stood there, mouth agape, and almost choked on my own breath. It was… a moment. Then a group of tourists ruined it by starting a flash mob.
- The Temple Tour (and the Heatstroke Scare): Angkor Thom, Bayon… they're all incredible. The carvings are so detailed… it's mind-blowing. I thought I was gonna get heatstroke at one point, wandering around and feeling overwhelmed. My head was pounding, I was lightheaded, and the only thing I could think about was getting back to the guest house.
- Reflection: By the time I got back to Capitol 3, I had a whole new appreciation for the history and the people. And the air conditioning.
Day 3: Angkor Beyond the Tourist Bubble
- Off the Beaten Path: Hired a tuk-tuk (learned to negotiate slightly better) and headed to some less-visited temples. Banteay Srei. It was, quite frankly, gorgeous. Intricate carvings, a quiet atmosphere… pure bliss. (And no flash mobs!)
- Lunch with Locals: Found a small, family-run restaurant. The food? Incredible, and so much better than the Amok. The woman running the place, her face was telling so many stories, and she had the kindest smile I've ever seen. I still remember the taste of that meal.
- Sunset Drinks (and Existential Dread): Watched the sunset from a hilltop temple. It was… beautiful. I ended up drinking too much Angkor beer and pondering the meaning of life. Okay, maybe it was the heat and the lack of food.
Phase 3: Siem Reap Shenanigans (and the Ongoing Battle with the Blister on My Toe)
Day 4: Battambang Bound (the Train of My Dreams, Maybe?):
- Booking Train Tickets: Getting the train, instead of a bus, from Siem Reap to Battambang seemed to be an adventure in itself.
- Packing for the trip: Packing small amounts of essentials so I would be prepared for the train adventure.
- Battambang Arrival: Arrived at Battambang, a charming little town, and decided to stop there for a while.
Day 5: Bamboo Train, Anyone?
- The infamous "bamboo train". Was is it cool or just a giant tourist trap? It was both. The train, which is basically a bamboo platform on wheels, trundles along the train tracks at a surprising speed. The views were awesome, and the whole thing was a bizarre, exhilarating experience. The kids selling souvenirs were really persistent. (Note to self: learn how to say "no" in Khmer.)
- The bat cave: Watched millions of bats swarm out of this cave, the sky turning black with them. It was like something out of a movie – incredible and a tiny bit terrifying.
Day 6: The Circus (and the Unexpected Tearjerker)
- Phare, the Cambodian Circus: Highly recommended, and for a good reason. The show was absolutely incredible – the acrobatics, the storytelling, the sheer energy. It was funny, heartwarming, and at one point, I actually teared up.
- Dinner and Drinks: Went to the night market in Battambang. Ordered a plate of deep-fried crickets (regretted it immediately). Then found a bar with some live music. The night market was busy, but not as crazy as Siem Reap.
Day 7: Back to Siem Reap (and the Sad Goodbye)
- Heading Back: Battambang was great, but it was time to head back to Siem Reap.
- Check-out from Guest House: Said goodbye to the staff and the many friends, and it was genuinely sad.
- The last days are full of memory
Phase 4: Departure (and the Post-Trip Blues)
- Last Day: Do all the touristy stuff again, buy some things I didn't need, and start the long process of saying goodbye.
- Reflection: I can't say I 'found' myself. I didn't have some life-altering epiphany. But. I changed somehow. The dirt, the heat, the chaos… it was all part of it. And yeah, maybe I'll be back. As soon as my bank account recovers. Maybe I'll even wear that sequined dress on a table somewhere. You just never know.
Important Imperfections & Confessions:
- The Food: I ate some things I'd rather forget. (That insect. That terrible ice cream.) But some dishes, will be remembered for life.
- The Language Barrier: I'm hopeless. I can say "hello" (Sous-day) and "thank you" (Akun). That's it. And I mostly communicated through smiles and frantic hand gestures.
- The Emotions: I cried at a sunset. I worried about my germs. I got angry because the music was too loud. But I felt the joy.
This trip wasn't perfect. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. And that, my friends, is the messiest, most honest, and most gloriously human itinerary I could give you. Now go, and have your own adventure. And tell me all about it. I'm dying to hear!
Rome's Hidden Gem: Navona's Stunning Secret Suite Awaits!
Capitol 3 Guesthouse: Your Secret Paradise...Maybe? Let's Figure It Out!
So, what's the deal with Capitol 3? Is it actually a "secret paradise" or just another guesthouse promising the world?
Alright, alright, let's be real. "Secret paradise" is a bit… dramatic, yeah? Look, Capitol 3 is a guesthouse in Phnom Penh. It's not a five-star resort, and don't expect a butler named Jeeves. But! (And this is a big but…) it *does* have a certain charm. Think more "cozy and a little rough around the edges, but with a heart of gold" kind of paradise. You know, the kind where the ceiling fan might wobble a little, and the Wi-Fi occasionally sputters, but the staff treats you like family. I swear, one night, I saw a cockroach scuttling across the floor (okay, maybe more than one, I wasn’t counting). But then the super nice woman at the reception smiled at me and offered me a free iced coffee to make me forget it! Sold! Secret paradise? Maybe not. But comfortable, friendly, and genuinely Cambodian? Absolutely.
What kind of rooms can I expect to find? Are they clean? (Asking for a friend... who is me.)
Rooms? Okay, let's be brutally honest. Clean is relative. They are, generally, clean. The sheets? Probably washed. The bathroom? Well, it's a Cambodian bathroom, so expect some… character. The water pressure could be better, and the shower might decide to spray water in all directions EXCEPT where you want it. But hey, you're in Cambodia! Embrace the adventure, right? My room had a balcony, overlooking a bustling street. It wasn't fancy – just functional. And the AC? Thank GOD for the AC. It was a lifesaver after battling the Phnom Penh heat! (Seriously, bring bug spray. Trust me on this one.) There's a variety of rooms from basic to more upgraded (a little more), so choose wisely based on your budget. I think they were pretty good for the price though - definitely got my money's worth compared to some backpacker hostels I've endured.
Is the location good? I want to be able to walk around and see things.
Location? Okay, this is where Capitol 3 kinda shines. VERY convenient. I could walk to the Royal Palace (which is GORGEOUS, by the way – go!), the Silver Pagoda, and the riverside. And the best thing? The street food! Oh. My. God. Street food heaven. Seriously, I gained five pounds in three days, and I REGRET NOTHING. There were little shops and family-run restaurants on every corner. The tuk-tuks are readily available, too, so you can zip anywhere quickly! (Make sure to haggle a bit on the price, though. It's part of the fun… and the survival.)
Food! What about the food? Is there a restaurant, or do I have to fend for myself?
Okay, here's the thing. Capitol 3 doesn't have a restaurant. *BUT* it has a *breakfast*. And let me tell you, this breakfast… is the stuff of legends. Okay, maybe not legends, but it's good. Eggs (you can get them cooked *any* way you like), toast, fruit… the usual stuff. And the coffee? Surprisingly good! So many places in Southeast Asia have horrible coffee, so this was a welcome surprise. In a pinch, it keeps you going. But the REAL treasure is the street food (I already got into that, didn’t I?). Explore! Be brave! Taste all the things! Just make sure to pick places that look busy – that usually means they're good and the food is fresh.
The staff! Are they friendly and helpful? (Important!)
The staff are… amazing. Seriously. They're the heart and soul of the place. They’ll go out of their way to help you, book tours, hail a tuk-tuk, give you advice on where to eat, and they always have a smile on their faces. I had a problem with my flight (ugh, airlines!), and they spent ages helping me sort it out. They genuinely cared. One of the staff members, I think her name was Srey, remembered my name from the moment I first checked in! It's one of the things that really made Capitol 3 special, the feeling of genuine care. It's the kind of place where you feel like more than just a guest; you feel like, well, maybe not family, but definitely a friend.
Okay, so, what's the Wi-Fi situation? Because a girl's gotta stay connected.
The Wi-Fi… is a work in progress. Let's put it that way. It's not blazing fast. It’s not always reliable. Sometimes, it just… gives up. You might find yourself wandering around trying to find a stronger signal. I ended up having to go to the cafe across the street more often than I wanted. But hey, sometimes it's good to disconnect, right? Maybe bring a book? (I lied, I still use the wi-fi for my stuff lol)
Is it noisy? I need my sleep, which is difficult.
Noise? Yes, it can be noisy. It's in a busy part of the city, remember? You'll hear traffic, tuk-tuks beeping (a LOT), and the general hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. And sometimes, you might hear your neighbor’s karaoke machine at 2 am (true story!). My room had a bit of a clanging sounds from the nearby marketplace...earplugs are your friends. If you are a super light sleeper... it *might* not be ideal. Maybe ask for a room at the back of the guesthouse – it might be a bit quieter. Or just embrace the chaos. It's part of the charm… I think. And if the karaoke REALLY gets to you, go join them! haha (kidding… mostly).
Would you stay there again? Be honest. Because I'm still on the fence.
Okay, honesty time? Absolutely. I would go back to Capitol 3 in a heartbeat. It’s not perfect, far from it! But it’s real. It's friendly, it's well-located, and it’s a decent value. I love all the little imperfections. The staff is fantastic. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. And for the price? You can't beat it. Would I recommend it to everyone? Nah. If you NEED luxury, polished perfection, and complete silence… go somewhere else. But if you're a traveler who's up for a bit of adventure, a bit of grit, and a lot of heart, then, yeah, Capitol 3 could be your "secret paradise"... or at least a darn good starting point for exploring the real Phnom Penh.

