
Dandong's BEST Hotel? Yalu River Views from City Comfort Inn!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! Because we're diving headfirst into the glorious, chaotic, and potentially life-altering (okay, maybe not life-altering) experience of the Yalu River Views from City Comfort Inn in Dandong. Let's get brutally honest about whether this place deserves the title of Dandong's BEST. And let me tell you, I've been in Dandong. I've seen things.
Accessibility - A Mixed Bag, Maybe?
Okay, the term "accessible" in China can be a bit… optimistic. They say facilities for disabled guests are available, but I'd want to double-check with the hotel directly. I've seen "accessible" rooms that are just… well, slightly less inaccessible. Elevator? Probably. Corridors? Wide-ish. But don't bank on perfect. This isn't Switzerland, folks.
On-site Restaurants/Lounges - Fueling the Adventure
We'll circle back to the dining scene because it's essential. Let's just say there's something going on with the food. (We'll get into the details later).
Wheelchair Accessible?
See "Accessibility" above. Call, clarify, and then, if you need it, double clarify.
Internet Access - Wi-Fi Warriors, Assemble!
YES! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Finally, some good news! And, bonus, they claim Wi-Fi in public areas too. I'm a digital nomad at heart, so a stable internet is a must. LAN access is available too, which is a blast from the past, but always good to have as a back up.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax - The Spa of My Dreams (or Nightmares?)
Alright, here's where it gets… interesting. They boast a whole spa shebang. We're talking:
- Body scrub
- Body wrap
- Fitness center
- Foot bath
- Gym/fitness
- Massage
- Pool with a view
- Sauna
- Spa
- Spa/sauna
- Steamroom
- Swimming pool
- Swimming pool [outdoor]
The truth is, the pool with a view gets me all excited. Because, come on! A beautiful, majestic view while I'm doing laps? Amazing. But I want to know specifically if the pool will be empty for me. It's my deepest fear and one of my biggest dreams. The only thing that's stopping me is the fact that one of my deepest desires is that the pool might be empty for me to skinny dip. Now that would be spectacular!
Body Scrub, Body Wrap: (Potential for embarrassment alert!) Listen, I'm a massage person. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a body wrap sounds… cozy. But am I going to be asked to expose my flabby bits to some stranger? I'm not sure.
Fitness Center/Gym: Okay, I might grudgingly hit the gym. Gotta at least pretend to be healthy, right?
Cleanliness and Safety - Covid Chaos, or Calm?
Alright, this is the year 2024, and COVID can still be a big deal in some places. Here's what the hotel says:
- Anti-viral cleaning products (good!)
- Daily disinfection in common areas (also good!)
- Hand sanitizer (essential!)
- Hot water linen and laundry washing (excellent!)
- Hygiene certification (that's the real test!)
- Individually-wrapped food options (nice touch for safety)
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter (let's hope they enforce this!)
- Professional-grade sanitizing services (sounds reassuring)
- Rooms sanitized between stays (music to my ears!)
- Safe dining setup (important!)
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items (super important!)
- Staff trained in safety protocol (hopefully they understand the protocol!)
- Sterilizing equipment (very good!)
The big question is: do they actually do all this? I'd keep my own travel-sized disinfectant on hand just in case.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - A Culinary Adventure!
Here we go, the real meat and potatoes (or, you know, the dumplings and noodles).
- A la carte in restaurant
- Alternative meal arrangement
- Asian breakfast
- Asian cuisine in restaurant
- Bar
- Bottle of water
- Breakfast [buffet]
- Breakfast service
- Buffet in restaurant
- Coffee/tea in restaurant
- Coffee shop
- Desserts in restaurant
- Happy hour (YES!)
- International cuisine in restaurant
- Poolside bar
- Restaurants
- Room service [24-hour]
- Salad in restaurant
- Snack bar
- Soup in restaurant
- Vegetarian restaurant
- Western breakfast
- Western cuisine in restaurant
Wow. That is a lot. All the breakfasts! Asian, Western, Buffet, and A la carte! My stomach is already churning in anticipation. 24-hour room service is also a godsend for the jet-lagged and/or snack-deprived.
Anecdote Time!
I had the best soup in a random Dandong tea shop one time. And it was so delicious! Like, melt-in-your-mouth, make-you-forget-your-troubles delicious. And then I tried to order the same soup the next day, but the waitress just kept staring at me blankly. This is the Dandong experience, folks.
Services and Conveniences - Making Life Easier (Maybe)
Here’s the laundry list of what else you get: air conditioning in public areas, audio-visual equipment for special events, business facilities, cash withdrawal, concierge, contactless check-in/out, convenience store, currency exchange, daily housekeeping, doorman, dry cleaning, elevator, essential condiments, facilities for disabled guests, food delivery, gift/souvenir shop, indoor venue for special events, invoice provided, ironing service, laundry service, luggage storage, meeting/banquet facilities, meetings, meeting stationery, on-site event hosting, outdoor venue for special events, projector/LED display, safety deposit boxes, seminars, shrine, smoking area, terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.
I mean, there are a few essentials in there - elevator, daily housekeeping, and a convenience store for late-night snack cravings. But I’ve never used all this at once, nor do I plan to.
For the Kids - Family Fun (or Chaos?)
- Babysitting service
- Family/child friendly
- Kids facilities
- Kids meal
If you're traveling with kids, well, Godspeed. It says kid facilities. I hope that means not just a high chair.
Access, Security & Getting Around - Safety First (Maybe?)
This hotel is packed with security features, which is reassuring. But I'm always a little skeptical of constant surveillance.
- CCTV in common areas
- CCTV outside property
- Check-in/out [express/private]
- Couple's room
- Exterior corridor
- Fire extinguisher
- Front desk [24-hour]
- Hotel chain
- Non-smoking rooms
- Pets allowed unavailable
- Proposal spot (romantic, or cheesy? You decide!)
- Room decorations
- Safety/security feature
- Security [24-hour]
- Smoke alarms
- Soundproof rooms
The "Getting Around" Stuff:
- Airport transfer (excellent!)
- Bicycle parking
- Car park [free of charge]
- Car park [on-site]
- Car power charging station
- Taxi service
- Valet parking
Sounds good, though Dandong is, in my experience, a walking city. The Yalu River is close, so this might be worth walking along.
Available in All Rooms - The Creature Comforts (and the Annoyances)
Okay, here's the nitty-gritty of what your room should have. We're talking:
- Additional toilet
- Air conditioning
- Alarm clock
- Bathrobes
- Bathroom phone (really??)
- Bathtub
- Blackout curtains
- Carpeting
- Closet
- Coffee/tea maker
- Complimentary tea
- Daily housekeeping
- Desk
- Extra long bed (yay, tall people!)
- Free bottled water
- Hair dryer
- High floor
- In-room safe box
- Interconnecting room(s) available
- Internet access – LAN
- Internet access – wireless
- Ironing facilities
- Laptop workspace
- Linens
- Mini bar
- Mirror
- Non-smoking
- On-demand movies
- Private bathroom
- Reading light
- Refrigerator
- Safety/security feature
- Satellite/cable channels
- Scale (

Alright, buckle up, buttercup! Because this Dandong adventure is about to get real. Forget those pristine, perfectly-planned itineraries you see online. This is the diary of a slightly-disorganized, easily-distracted, and utterly obsessed traveler, smack dab in the middle of… well, you’ll see.
Dandong Diary: City Comfort Inn, Railway Station Edition (with a side of Yalu River & Utter Chaos)
Day 1: City Comfort Inn – Smelling Like… Well, Dandong
Morning (ish): Arrived at Dandong Railway Station. Let's be honest, it's HUGE. Took me a solid 10 minutes just to figure out which direction was out. Found the City Comfort Inn. It's…clean. In a very, very practical way. Like, the kind of clean where you can tell the cleaners are battling grime born of a million train arrivals. The first thing that struck me? The smell. A curious blend of disinfectant, instant noodles, and… something else. Something indefinable, that screams "Dandong!" I’m not sure if I like it, but it’s definitely memorable.
Afternoon: Settling In & Snack Attack: Got my room key (which, joyously, actually worked the first time). The room is… compact. But, hey, it has a bed! And a TV that’s probably showing soap operas I can’t understand. The first order of business: finding snacks. My stomach is a ravening beast after that train ride. Wandered down the street, armed with broken Mandarin and an insatiable craving for… well, anything. Found a little shop selling…everything. Ended up with a bag of what I think are dried plums, and a mysterious, brightly colored drink that tastes vaguely of… optimism? We'll see if it lasts.
Evening: Attempted Dinner & Cultural Immersion (Sort Of): Decided to be ambitious and eat at a local restaurant. Big mistake! The menu was entirely in Chinese, and my rudimentary knowledge of the language failed me spectacularly. Tried to point at pictures, acted out charades involving chopsticks and what I thought was a fish. Ended up with a plate of something that looks suspiciously like…intestines. I choked it down, but emotionally, I'm still recovering. Lesson learned: bring Google Translate next time. Or maybe just a sandwich. Wandered around the streets after, getting lost, which is pretty much my default setting. Found a group of old men playing Chinese chess. Their faces were utterly impassive. The game… seemed intense.
Day 2: Yalu River… And the Ghosts of Korea
Morning: The Yalu River Bridge: The whole reason I’m here: to see the Yalu River and its bridge, the bridge where the Korean war was fought. The bridge is…haunting. Standing there, actually seeing North Korea on the other side… it hits you. History becomes real. I am utterly mesmerized by the view, the water and the surrounding scenery.
Afternoon: The Broken Bridge & Existential Dread: Paid the (slightly extortionate) entrance fee to walk out onto the Broken Bridge. Seriously, it really is broken. It juts out into the river, a rusted testament to the cost of war. The wind howled, the river churned, and I started to feel this weird, creeping… sadness. Like, full-blown, existential dread. I spent a good hour, or two, just staring at North Korea across the water. You can see buildings, laundry hanging out to dry… and yet, it feels so far away. So inaccessible. And… honestly? Completely foreign. The whole experience was a gut punch. I don't know why, but I was left with such a heavy feeling. Something about the people, the war, the way the water flows. This bridge is not just metal and rust. It is a portal.
Evening: Food Recovery & Retail Therapy (Desperately Needed): After the bridge incident, I was emotionally drained. Needed to find some comfort food, and fast. Ended up at a small dumpling place, where, thankfully, the menu had pictures. Ate about a million dumplings. Pure, unadulterated bliss. Then, hit the shops to buy some souvenirs. Needed a new pen and some new clothes!
Day 3: The Train to… Well, Somewhere Else?
Morning: Breakfast of Champions: Decided to brave the breakfast at the City Comfort Inn. It involved dubious eggs, some kind of congee (which was actually pretty good), and a lot of staring at the other guests, wondering where they were going (and if they knew something I didn't).
Afternoon: Packing, Panicking, and a Final Glimpse: Spent the morning packing. Or rather, attempting to pack. My bag is a disaster area. Clothes spilling out everywhere. Why do I always bring so many things?! Decided to take one last walk around the area and the market, looking for treasures and a last taste of local life. Found a lady selling the biggest apples I’ve ever seen. Bought one. Ate it. Delicious.
Late Afternoon: Back to the Station (And Goodbye, Dandong!): Headed back to the Dandong Railway Station. The smells are familiar. Is this a good thing? I'm not sure. The adventure continues. Dandong, you've been a strange, wonderful, and utterly exhausting experience. I'm leaving with a slightly heavier heart, a lighter wallet, and a suitcase full of memories… and maybe a lingering whiff of disinfectant. Goodbye now!

Dandong's BEST Hotel? Yalu River Views from City Comfort Inn! (Or Did I Just Get Lucky?) - FAQ & Ramblings
Okay, Seriously Now... Is that Yalu River View *Really* as Good as the Hype?
Alright, alright, let's be real. The Yalu River view… is it all sunshine and rainbows? Well, mostly. I mean, pictures online? Yeah, they're gorgeous. The reality? Well, it depends. First, you gotta get the right room. Apparently, some rooms are more "side-view of the river with a generous helping of neighboring building" than “epic vista.” Ask for a corner room, high up. Trust me. We ended up on the 12th floor and it was… breathtaking. I remember the first morning, the sun *just* breaking over North Korea... I swear, I almost cried. (Don't judge! Jet lag combined with history and that light... it got me.)
But... there was this one day where it was just *pouring*. Cloudy, grey, everything looked a bit… glum. Still, there's a certain melancholic beauty to watching the rain sweep across the river. And the North Korean side? Still visible, even in the gloom. It's like... you're watching a movie. Maybe a slightly depressing movie, but a movie nonetheless. Still worth it, though. Totally.
The Rooms: Are They Actually Comfortable... or Just "Comfort"?
Okay, the "City Comfort Inn" part? Lets be clear, it's not the Ritz. Think… a solid, dependable, clean-ish sort of comfortable. (And by "clean-ish," I mean, you know, China-clean. Which, on the whole, is perfectly acceptable, but might not be up to, say, Switzerland standards.) The bed? Fine. Not the most supportive mattress I've ever encountered, but I slept. A lot. Jet lag, remember?
The bathroom? Small, functional, and the shower… well, the shower sometimes had a mind of its own. Like, one minute, glorious hot water. The next? A sudden ice bath surprise. I learned to love the quick in-and-out method. But, hey, you get what you pay for. Which wasn't much, if I remember correctly. And really, after a day of exploring the Broken Bridge and the Friendship Bridge, all I really wanted was a clean bed and a not-too-terrible shower. Mission accomplished.
Breakfast, Is It Worth Rolling Out Of Bed For?
Ah, breakfast. This is where the "City Comfort" part takes a serious hit. It was... well, let's just say it was an *experience*. Mostly Chinese fare, a lot of noodles, some questionable meats, and a buffet that looked like it had been sitting out for… a while. I tried some things. I regretted some things. My stomach survived. That's the important takeaway.
The coffee was, frankly, an abomination. Weak, watery, and tasted suspiciously of… well, I’m not sure *what*. I ended up resorting to instant coffee I'd brought from home. HIGHLY recommended. My advice? Embrace the local street food for breakfast. SO much better. Those jianbing stands? AMAZING. Forget the hotel breakfast and hit the streets! Your taste buds will thank you. And your stomach will probably, mostly, too.
What About the Staff? Friendly? Helpful? Or "Lost in Translation"?
The staff were… lovely. Mostly. English proficiency varied WILDLY. Some spoke pretty decent English, enough to help with basic questions. Others? Well, let's just say Google Translate became my best friend. I tried my best with my (very limited) Mandarin, which usually resulted in a lot of puzzled looks and giggling. Which, honestly, I found endearing.
There was this one time, though, where I tried to ask where the nearest ATM was… and the person I was talking to pointed me towards the elevator. I’m pretty sure she thought I wanted to go to a higher floor. We both ended up laughing. Overall, they were genuinely nice, tried hard, and were very patient with my terrible attempts at communication. Bless 'em!
Location, Location, Location: Is it Convenient?
The location is… pretty darn good! You're right on the river, as in, you look from it. The Broken Bridge (a must-see!) is a short walk away. The Friendship Bridge? Same. You're basically in the heart of the touristy area, which is both a plus and a minus. (More on that later.)
You've got restaurants, shops, and all the usual tourist traps within easy reach. The walk along the river is lovely, especially at sunset. However… it also means you're surrounded by other tourists. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you're looking for a super authentic, off-the-beaten-path experience, maybe look elsewhere. Dandong itself is inherently touristy, so be prepared for that. But for seeing the sights? Excellent location.
Anything to Watch Out For? Any Quirks? Any Travel Warnings?
Okay, prepare yourself for a very specific… quirk. The air conditioning. (Or lack thereof.) I was there in late spring. It was… warm. And the air conditioning in my room was… temperamental. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it blasted ice-cold air. I had to resort to opening the window a lot, which meant I got to hear the joyful sounds of Dandong city life – the incessant car horns, the occasional karaoke, the… well, let’s just say it was a whole *experience*. Bring earplugs. Seriously.
Also, the hotel is very popular. Book in advance, especially if you want a room with a view. And be prepared for crowds around the Broken Bridge - everyone wants that perfect photo. Embrace the chaos, I say! And don't be afraid to wander off the main tourist drag. You might find something amazing. I did. (More on that in my next blog post... maybe.) Just be aware of your surroundings, and be polite. It's China!
The Big Question: Would You Stay There Again?
Honestly? Yeah. Absolutely. Despite the so-so breakfast, the sometimes wonky AC, and the… let's call it "rustic charm" of parts of the hotel, the view? THAT VIEW. It makes it all worthwhile. The sheer history, the proximity to the border… that hotel had something special. It wasn’t perfect, but it was an adventure. Besides, what’s travel if not a messy, imperfect, hilarious journey? And the Yalu River, from that vantage point, isStaynado

